History of HCS
Huntington Catholic School has a long history of educating students in the Huntington area. SS Peter & Paul School began in 1849. Ten years later, the actual school building was erected, and in 1858 the parish school was established. St. Mary School began in 1897 with the Sisters of Providence teaching 116 children. In 1921, the Sisters of Providence left and the Sisters of St. Francis Seraph (now the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration) came to teach at St. Mary School. During the 1985-87 school years, SS Peter & Paul and St. Mary Catholic Churches consolidated their schools, with SS Peter & Paul housing grades PreK to four, and St. Mary housing grades five through eight. The name of SS Peter & Paul’s school building was changed to the Primary Building. The name of St. Mary’s school building was changed to the Middle Building. Huntington Catholic School is one school with two buildings. The two parish schools were consolidated to improve the overall educational process by better utilizing financial resources, teacher talents, and promote Catholic unity in the community. Huntington Catholic School serves families from Huntington, Whitley, Allen, and Wells Counties. Enrollment today at Huntington Catholic in grades PreK through eight is approximately 210. Huntington Catholic School is the most viable nonpublic and parochial school in Huntington County.